Monday, March 28, 2011

Running The Last Quarter

As i open life's empty page -
i wondered what would be written there:
Would i be able to make the dash in life -
and emerge the winner, or otherwise...?

I was rearing to go -
to throw back my head
and test the wind -
to strain all my muscles, to bolt...

It was all my young enthusiastic heart could do -
to contain and restrain,
to just hold my horses -
and refrain from dashing forward...

And when the whistle blew -
a shrill, sharp piercing note,
it was like a war cry for the warriors -
a battle cry for victory that all young hearts seek...

Fresh and young and full of life -
i took the first quarter in a breeze;
then bounded round the bend -
now - for the second tougher quarter...

Life wasn't easy now - all the more made complacent -
in fact, now was a trying time for a young runner:
the hurdles and the pitfalls seem to double - nay, triple
and my breath seemed to come in spurts of passion...!

I've been through the drudgery -
and all the pain and misery:
running the long and winding road - that third quarter,
that Destiny had laid out before me...

I've tried as best i could -
to trudge every step with a smile, still,
for i've succeeded to go thus far -
with the smile still on my lips, but not in my heart...

For it is a great burden i've carried on my back -
and a greater burden, i've got on each arm and leg,
i've lugged them all along - thus far, i have...
but now i lay exhausted - before the last quarter...

For the path that looms threateningly before me -
that last quarter, was really full of thorns!
and to my exhausted limbs they seem to say,
"Give up - you'll never make it!"

But then God sent me someone special -
to lift my loads for me,
to guide me by the hand -
and to run on beside me...

So, i'll run this last quarter -
with a smile in my heart,
i'll make it to the end of the run -
with you by my side...

No comments:

Post a Comment