Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Shadow on the Wall

If i should die before you -
i'll be that shadow on the wall
to keep you company, to see you safe and happy -
thru all your years with me no longer there...

If i should die before you -
and i guess i would,
as you have to sing to me -
with my favourite rose from my garden...
if i should die before you -
this is all that i want you to do...

For if i should die before you -
and i have a strong feeling i would;
i would want you to go on living, happily,
and go on doing kinds deeds as tho they're for me...
and i would be there to see that you are safe and happy:
that little shadow on the wall would be me...
and if i do miss you so much - or you me -
then i would be that little butterfly
that stopped to rest on your knee...
so don't flick me off - be gentle to me,
and give me a kindly lift up to my picnic tree...

and you'll be able to feel my warm touch
on your cheek, as i flitter and flutter by...
and you'll know that i say 'i love you'
when you hear the breeze sigh through the door...
and, oh fear not my darling, if you feel
a little tingling sensation down your crooked spine -
for that would be me, giving you a kiss,
and saying,"i'm missing you dearly too"...

No comments:

Post a Comment