Friday, February 11, 2011

Little Gifts of Love

I've always wanted to give -
little mementos...
little gifts of love;
but it looks like you've never cared
or appreciated
these little gifts, from my heart...

For they are the things -
to remember me by,
'coz they are little, little things -
that i've lovingly collected;
and they are the little things -
that i braved your wrath to give to you...

Though you have never bought
anything specially to give to me
I'm still keeping that first,
and only, perfume bottle -
tho' the scent had long vapourised,
together with the romantic dreams...
all are now buried in the past -
all except that little flame of love:
kept alive by memories of the times past -
the times when you were loving or kind,
the times when you were smiling, and forgiving -
the times when love had shone in your eyes...

So, it matters not that you are always angry -
For i have the memories to keep that little flame alive:
i have the three little sea shells that i treasure -
to tell me you remembered, at least once, what i love...

2 comments:

  1. ... and a "don't ever change" card,
    ... and a single birthday card - in 38 years...
    Is that all that you can effort your wife of 35 years?
    ... and if all husbands are like you, don't you think the retailers will all have to close down - if not for wives like me, who love to shop?
    ... doesn't it ever occur to you that it is no fun buying myself my own birthday gifts, sending myself my own Valentine cards... and telling myself one day... perhaps... he'll change... and show he cares... enough to notice what i like and what i don't - without my having to tell in so many words... so many times?
    ... will that day ever come, i just wonder...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... so i suppose that's what it means by being 'the missing half'... of what's me...!
    ... and that's what's making me accept you as you are (tho' i might sulk or at times complain) - for what you are, or have been all these years...
    ... and i suppose you know by now that i do thank God for not getting someone worse...?

    ReplyDelete