Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To My Friend

Dear Friend,
Here it is: the most important letter
in my life, lately,
and here's a big THANK YOU -
for what you have done:
shown me the light...
and i thank you for that!

You've shown me what i've never thought possible -
what i've never thought i might and could do,
You've taught me the lesson:
that i need not have to choose
between friendship and love -
'coz i can have both:

I've always thought
that i have to choose
between having roses and orchids,
or creepers and lavenders -
Thank you for letting me see
that my garden can grow free:
that i could love a little Napoleon
and still be faithful in my love
for a Horatio Nelson, or a Joan of Arc!

Thank you for helping me to realise
that i don't have to "play the temptress",
and discreetly spin my silken web
amidst the branches
of the casuarina tree;
then sit, and wait, slyly -
for a sympathetic heart
to fly by...

Thank you for letting me know
that i have a beautiful heart -
big enough for all:
the Napoleons, the Nelsons, the Joans,
and still have space enough
for many, many more...

Thank you for making me realise
that i need not choose,
and i need not compare -
for i could love them all
and still have more love to give
to another poor soul, who happens by...

Thank you, too, for making me see
that the river of love
will never run dry -
but will flow into the sea of plenty;
thank you for telling me -
i'll never, ever have to cry...
thank you for bringing peace into my heart,
and sweet dreams to replace the dark...

thank you for telling me
i am no evil spider -
but a beautiful, colourful butterfly...
thank you for finally making me understand
that even if the phone does not ring,
i'll be able to hear your heartbeat -
like a lonely song in the night...

And for all that i thank you,
my dear, dear friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment